1.7.07

Construction of the Revell Queen Mary II

Here is the start of my Revell Queen Mary II. I haven't added anything yet such as the bow thrusters, stabilizers and Azi Pods yet. After I put the two halves together I made sure I sanded and filled any imperfections. After that was done I primed the entire hull with Tamiya Surface Primer. By using the grey primer I could see any imperfections I missed along the way. After priming I sprayed the entire hull in Testors Matt Black. I then taped off the entire hull except for the bottom where I used Tremclad's Red Zinc Oxide Paint. This is the closest colour I could find to anti-fouling paint. I bought both the spray and the regular for touching up. With the entire hull still taped up I taped off the bottom and painted the red strip using Testors Flat Red between the anti-fouling and black on the hull. Once that was done I taped off that section and painted the white stripe on the water line and the white on the superstructure using Testors Flat White. As far as spray painting I find Testors a great paint to use. When it comes to brush painting I like to use Humbrol. I find Humbrol very forgiving and easy to use with no clumping and with minimal brush strokes. I do recommend spraying the large sections of this model. Not only does it save a whole lot of time but the finish is so much nicer. The rest of the pictures to come will be more detailed due to the fact I had already come this far before I discovered this whole blog idea (What a Hoot). There is still some touching up to do to the hull. This is the outcome after I had peeled the tape off. Next was to install the Azi Pods and bow thrusters and finish touching up the hull. I installed the inside cabins on the hull by first priming them and painting them white. I applied clear styrene plastic to the back and gave it about three coats of black. Remember, you don't want to be able to see through the hull and you want the illusion of cabins behind all those windows.


No comments: